Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Ethernet | Protocol Functions, Encoding, Basic Messages, and Information Elements



Ethernet is the typical transport layer protocol in IP networks. It is designed to transmit packets from a sender to a receiver, both identified on behalf of an address information element.
According to this limited functionality, Ethernet has a very small header. The header field (Figure 1) contains only the information elements:
  • Destination address.
  • Source address.
  • Ethernet type.
 
Figure 1: Ethernet header example
Ethernet type is similar to a SAPI (Service Access Point Identifier). It contains information about which higher layer protocol information is transported by Ethernet frames.
The Ethernet addresses, often called MAC addresses (but with nothing in common with RLC/MAC!), consist of 6 bytes. These MAC addresses are fixed hardware addresses and, due to a defined numbering scheme, each address is unique worldwide.
If IP data is to be transmitted using Ethernet the hardware MAC address of the receiver of IP packets is unknown when the connection starts. Only the target IP address is known. However, since Ethernet is the lowest layer of the connection there must be a source and a destination MAC address included in each header. In other words, for each sender IP address there is an appropriate sender hardware address, and for each destination IP address there must be an appropriate target hardware address.
The target hardware address that is related to the target IP address is requested by the Address Resolution Protocol (ARP). Its sister protocol, the Reverse Address Resolution Protocol (RARP), can be used to find the target IP address (or, in terms of ARP/RARP, the target protocol address) to a known MAC address.
The address resolution procedure consists of two steps:
  1. ARP request (req) message with Target Hardware Address = "0" is sent to all(!) IP clients in the network.
  2. The client that has the target protocol address as set in the ARP req message sends ARP Replay (rpl). The sender hardware address in ARP rpl is the Ethernet MAC address related to the destination IP address that the sender of the ARP req is looking for. An example of the Ethernet address resolution procedure is shown in Figure 2.

 
Figure 2: Ethernet address resolution

1 comment:

  1. It was during my research on HIV/Herpes that I stumbled upon the Hiv/Herpes information; information which is quite easy to find when doing a search for STD on google. I was into conspiracy at the time thought of HIV/Herpes Cured' being a conspiracy was something Ignorance though,I found pretty interesting about herbal medicine. I asked questions about the Herbal cure's on official HIV/Herpes websites and I was banned for doing so by moderators who told me that I was parroting Hiv/Herpes propaganda. This reinforced my belief that there is a cure for Hiv/Herpes Then i found a lady from germany name Achima Abelard Dr Itua Cure her Hiv so I send him a mail about my situation then talk more about it and send me his herbal medicine I drank for two weeks.And today I'm Cured no Hiv/Herpes in my life,I searched for Hiv/Herpes groups to attempt to make contact with people in order to learn more about Hiv/Herpes Herbal Cure's I believed at this time that you with the same disease this information is helpful to you and I wanted to do the best I could to spread this information in the hopes of helping other people.That Dr Itua Herbal Medicine makes me believes there is a hope for people suffering from,Parkinson's disease,Schizophrenia,Cancer,Scoliosis,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity Syndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans Progressiva.Infertility, ,Epilepsy ,Diabetes ,Coeliac disease,,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis,Alzheimer's disease,Adrenocortical carcinoma.Asthma,Allergic diseases.Hiv_ Aids,Herpes,Inflammatory bowel disease ,Copd,Diabetes,Hepatitis,I read about him online how he cure Tasha and Tara,Conley,Mckinney and many more suffrin from all kind of disease so i contacted him . He's a herbal doctor with a unique heart of God, Contact Emal..drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com Phone or whatsapp..+2348149277967.

    ReplyDelete